Travelling to Thailand ( Alternative Qaurantine/ AQ )
*** Travellers are required to apply for the COE 2-3 weeks before their intended departure day. If visa is necessary, applicants must submit visa application at least minimum 45 days before the intended travel date. They must also expect approximately 2 weeks for the COE request. However, the visa application can be submitted at the earliest three months before your departure date. After the receipt of the visa, travellers will then be able to begin the COE procedure.***
All COE application must be done individually because each COE contains the details of each traveller.
(COE application for Phuket Sandbox will commence on Monday, 28 June 2021; for entry to Thailand from 1 July 2021 onwards)
- What is Phuket Sandbox?
- A tourism-promotion scheme that allows fully vaccinated travellers to enter Phuket/Phang-nga/Krabi without quarantine, subject to conditions below.
- Eligible travellers
- Both non-Thais and Thais are eligible.
- Must be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 with a vaccine approved by World Health Organization (WHO) or Ministry of Public Health of Thailand no less than 14 days before departure. Travellers from the EU zone must present EU Digital COVID Certificates or proof of vaccination for both doses ( for all vaccines except Janssen)***
- Children under the age of 18, travelling with parents, are eligible without proof of vaccination. The child’s birth certificate must be submitted to proof relationship with parents when applying for COE.
– Children under the age of 18, travelling alone and have not been vaccinated, are not eligible for the Phuket Sandbox Scheme. However, they may choose Phuket as ALQ (10 days quarantine).
- Must have health insurance which covers treatment and medical expenses in relation to COVID-19, with a minimum coverage of 100,000 USD.
- Direct flights from outside Thailand to Phuket or charted flights that stop over in Bangkok without transit before flying to Phuket (Disembarking the plane for domestic transit is not allowed)
- ***The Embassy recommends travellers to enter Phuket with a direct flight from other countries because domestic transfer flights for travellers from abroad are not confirmed and can be cancelled any time. ( Domestic flights for passengers from abroad and those for domestic passengers are operated separately due to sanitary reasons)
- If inferior to 7 nights, travellers must have a proof of a return ticket leaving Phuket to another country from the Phuket International Airport
- If at least 7/8 days, travellers can visit other provinces of Thailand after 7 days and can depart to other countries from other airports in Thailand.
- Confirmation of “SHA+” hotel booking must be issued under the SHABA system (SHA Plus Booking Authentication system) or booking under https://www.thailandsha.com/ or http://entrythailand.go.th/
- ***Must stay at the same hotel for the entire Sandbox period in only one of the Provinces ( Phuket, Phang-nga, or Krabi) for at least 7 days.
- if inferior to 7 nights, and must have a proof of return tickets leaving Phuket to another country, or
- at least 7 days, if travellers intend to visit other provinces of Thailand besides Phuket/Phang-nga/Krabi after 7 days.
- These hotels are not quarantine hotels. You can still leave your room to travel in Phuket/Phang-nga/Krabi areas.
- After 7 days, they may travel to other parts of Thailand. Departure earlier than 7 days is possible only for destinations outside of Thailand.
- COVID-19 tests
- Travellers must present *RT-PCR negative test result issued no more than 72 hours before departure. The method of RT-PCR test is not limited to swabbing but also includes, for example, saliva collection. ( This includes the case of children; however, the doctor may use saliva collection as a method for the RT-PCR test.)
- Upon entry, travellers will have to undergo TWO COVID-19 tests at their own expenses at different times:
– Day 0 : 1st PCR test upon arrival at the Phuket International Airport. Travellers are requested to wait for the result before leaving their hotel.
– Day 6-7 : 2nd PCR test on 6 or 7th day after arrival
- Please make the PCR test reservations on www.thailandpsas.com
- ***Travellers are requested to show proof of payment for the 2 PCR test appointments when applying for COE.
- Journey-tracing application
- Travellers must install and use journey-tracing application as prescribed by the Thai Government such as Morchana throughout 7 days in Phuket.
- How to apply for COE
- Travellers under “Phuket Sandbox” programme must apply for a Certificate of Entry (COE), like all other travellers, via https://coethailand.mfa.go.th/ from 28 June 2021 (for entry to Thailand from 1 July 2021 onwards)
- When applying for COE, in the Travel Details please choose “you entering Thailand through the Sandbox Programme” and choose “Phuket“as the Sandbox destination.
Disclaimer: the above information is subject to change without prior notice.